Friday, September 01, 2006

getting closer...

Yesterday I did something I have never done before. I scheduled all of my doctor's appointments until I have the baby! I take that back, I even had to schedule an appointment for one week after the baby is due, just in case. I am now on the "every two weeks" schedule and in a month I will be going every week. This not only made me realize that our little boy is going to be here very soon but also made me very anxious! As a first time mom, I sat in the babies room looking at what very little we have for him and wondered, "how am I going to know what I need for this baby?" So, for all of you moms out there or any who have suggestions, what are some "For Sures", "Nice to haves, but not necessary" and "Don't bothers"?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, your cute tummy is still so TINY! But mostly I'm writing to say that we'll meet up next week after work for pedicures and mommy dish. I'll help you figure out what you need for Baby Evans. There's lots you don't need, and some unexpected things that are must haves. Dan is off work after Monday and then I'm a free woman. Name your night!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I'm not a really big 'baby gear' person, but I do have a few favorites. 1-Baby Bjorn carrier. It's awesome for travelling or when you're out and about, especially for you if you're taking public transportation! 2-Pack N Play--if you have one, you can still hang out with friends at their houses. We believe in portable babies! 3-Cloth diapers for burp rags. Fancy burp clothes are cute, but Gerber cloth diapers are the best! 4-An extra crib sheet, in case there is a spit up or diaper blowout in the night, so you don't have to wash the sheets or anything. 5-Lots of small size receiving blankets (6-8) to swaddle him up tight when he's little. We still swaddle Clayton in the ones that are a little bigger! 6-The little layette nightgowns for those late-night diaper changes. Travis might have a problem putting his boy in a nightgown, but it's worth it (and they come in blue!!) 7-Oxyclean because baby spitup and poop stains, and needs to be soaked right away!

We can't wait for your little guy to arrive!!

Anonymous said...

no mommy advice, but i'm just getting really excited for you! yaaaay!
aliss

Anonymous said...

I second every bit of Camie's post! I don't feel like you need every piece of baby gear- takes up too much space! The only thing I would add to the list is Aquaphor for your babe. We use it on diaper rashes, dry skin, and any other skin irritation. I'm not a fan of desitin (I think it stinks and it's hard to clean off my fingers) and I feel like Aquaphor works better. Also, if you little one spits up as much as Andrew, it's worthwhile to invest in antoher package of cloth diapers for burp cloths!

Meredith said...

Yeah, I third the cloth diapers for burp cloths...we used them all the time because our little girl spit up a lot. I also agree with the pack'n'play, especially if you have a small place. You can hold off on the crib for a while if you have a pack'n'play, and it's easy to move from your room to another room (or where ever the little guy is going to sleep!) Also, if you don't have a stroller already, and you like to take walks, I would say a stroller is a must. Of course, as I type this, I realize you are in the Northeast for winter, so maybe not!:) But I have a Combi stroller and it is the greatest because it is super light, and folds down small and very easily to be carried on your back like a backpack. Some of the other strollers are tanks! I just told myself, "As long as we have diapers and a carseat, we'll be fine." You'll work a lot out as you go along. Also, I would recommend having many crib sheets and many nightgowns, because once in a while you'll have a night when you need them all!

Jill said...

I would suggest two or three preemie outfits because he will not fit into ANYTHING else. He'll probably even be too small for those, but he won't be swimming in them. The 0-3 month clothes will fit him at some point, but he'll definitely be way too tiny for them right after he's born. And something that nobody warned me about is needing Advil or some other kind of painkiller for nursing for the first few days. You'll get pains that feel a little like contractions again whenever you nurse for the first little bit and it does not feel good at all! And take as much of the mesh underwear that you can get your hands on while you're at the hospital--it's the best. I know that one was maybe a little personal, but trust me, you'll need it.

Anonymous said...

The previous poster is right about needing painkillers if you are nursing (because of the contractions it causes) but not advil. You are not supposed to take advil while nursing - instead I suggest you talk to your nurse or doctor while in the hospital about pain management once you get home.