Tuesday, April 14, 2009

i will NOT miss YOU.

it is hard not to think about moving. just ask either trav or me what we're thinking and it probably has something to do with us leaving. less than 5 weeks, people! in fact, as i was out running around with the boys this morning i was thinking of a loooong list of things i will not miss about living here. care to find out?

  • driving. i actually think i have somewhat mastered boston driving. although, there are still those days when i have to turn around 50 times before i actually make it to my final destination.
  • leaving my apartment with 2 boys. let me explain. our parking space is about 100 yards from our door. so, to say that if i have to carry anything besides miles in his car seat with calvin walking by my side holding my other hand is tricky would be an understatement. just leaving my house to go anywhere is a huge effort. and running our errands haven't even begun. i need a driveway.
  • coming home with a car full of groceries, other shopping bags, etc. with two boys in my car. with my parking space 100 yards from my door. see the problem? i've figured out a routine, probably not a good one, but i've figured it out. i feel bad even writing it down here so if you're curious, just ask. now just think if i have two sleeping boys in my car when i get home....
  • tiny apartment living. the other day i was doing the dishes in my kitchen and threw a dirty towel in my laundry basket which is in my bedroom without leaving my kitchen. i can sit on my couch and see every door/room in my apartment. you get the picture.
  • basement apartment living. for those of you who have never been here you don't know that we live on the "garden level". so, our windows are up really high. we get okay sunlight (when it's sunny) but there are many days when we walk outside and had no idea that it was raining or snowing or was 22 degrees outside.
  • taking the T. this one's for travis since i rarely ride the T into town. but i know how much he really hates it.
  • convenient shopping. i go to target which is 10 minutes north of me, costco which is 24 minutes southwest of me, babies r us and michaels which is 8 minutes south of me, walmart which, luckily, is even in my same town, etc.....i guess i was spoiled where we used to live in kansas.
  • smoking. a lot more people smoke here than anywhere i've ever been. sick.
  • no yard. self-explanatory?
  • parking in general. most places you go when you want to park on the street only have 1-2 hour parking rules. i have gotten more parking tickets living here than any other time in my life. in fact, i think this is the only place i've ever gotten a parking ticket. guess how many i've actually had to pay? i think only 1. i write good letters.
some of you may wonder why i don't have the weather on this list. while i am so ready for spring to actually get here (can we please leave the 40 and 50 degrees please?), i really don't mind northeast weather. call me crazy!

16 comments:

Janelle said...

wow, you've been through a lot. i'm happy these annoying inconveniences are almost over for you! and yet, they'll make the next stage of life all the better for you since you'll really appreciate it more than others. good work! you're almost done!

Janelle said...

p.s.: if it helps at all, i'd still love to live in boston (or new york city, or d.c.)...so live it up for me while you can!

kristen said...

i was going to say, "and can i add weather to this list?" i agree with all of these and won't even get started with my add-ons. ;) can you make a things we WILL miss post? like THE TUTTS. no more moving talk.

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

Liz....
Hate to burst your excitement on one of these....the other day, i was thinking how many people smoke around here....perhaps "south of the border" is different, but i feel like a lot of people smoke around here.....it is NASTY!!! i can't even imagine how you deal with two kids, and carrying groceries in your house....i may be calling you to find out....you have my curiosity up!!! :) Can't wait to have you out here!!! Every so often, we make comments about you guys being here. The other day, Kayleigh asked when we get to have a baby....Matthew said in June....for 10 days!!! we started talking about how much fun it would be....then Jared said, i don't think i will like it.....you will love him more than me!!!

mom2cherreys said...

I am so with you on ALL of those! Lucky you, you get out before us! Not much longer though......

akdoxey said...

Good list, I definitely relate to EVERY POINT on your list. I'm lucky to have a parking spot at all so I always feel ungrateful when I say, oh what I wouldn't give for a garage. But seriously, how nice would it be to let the keeps sleep while you unload the car? I know I'll miss NYC when we leave but there are many things I can't wait to get away from. Congrats on the last four years, and good luck with the move.

Are you guys going to Martha's Vineyard and Cape Cod? I think Martha's Vineyard is self explanatory, we just took the local bus to different stops. It's only $6 where the sight seeing bus in like $30. I wish we could have rented bikes. They have a bike rental place in Edgertown with bike trailers, so if your little one is big enough or you can cushion him, that would be fun.

If you're going to Cape Cod, there's so much to see but I LOVED Sandwich area, it's the oldest town in the area. Very picturesque. Have fun!

Navarro's said...

:-( I am so sad, what will we do without you guys? You know I am in total agreement with the list and I will have to call you this summer about the 2 kids and car a shopping bag issue (AHHHH). I cant wait to join you on the West side!!

Amber said...

Ah...I remember those days. Thankfully we lucked out and had a driveway. Definitely live up those last few weeks. West coast has it's benefits, but I still find myself missing Boston at times-mostly all the stuff to see and do, and all the great friends!

Lindsey said...

Good luck packing everything up! I can't believe you guys are done with school!

Jenae said...

I can't even tell you how big of a difference having a garage/driveway makes when it comes to errands!! I remember all too well the days of carrying groceries, a car seat w/baby, and trying to get a 2 year old to "follow" quickly behind as we walked across a parking lot and up stairs to our apartment. I had to ditch groceries and car seat w/Rachel in it on the sidewalk a few times while I chased Ashlin who didn't want to listen to me! Good luck with all the packing and moving stuff.

The Vieiras said...

Marty says he definitely knows your husband from basketball--how funny! So have we been in the same stake for a year and I just didn't know?

And I agree with your list. I loved living in Boston for some things, but for so many other reasons I was sick of it!

Richardson said...

I didn't catch where you guys are moving to. Are you moving to Utah? It's nice being close to family. We are actually moving further away though. Off to Denver. We are super excited about it and it won't be to far away.

Tamsen said...

Diddo to everything you said. We'll miss you.

Nana Kari said...

Can't wait to get your little bodies out here to Oregon. We are soooo excited to have our lil' boys close by Nana and Papa. Trav and Liz only and few more weeks!! Hang in there. Love you all.

Becca Openshaw said...

what really matters is that you miss us!

Unknown said...

Yeah for the move! While I think weather would have been number one on my list, I'm glad you guys were able to handle it so well.