Thursday, February 07, 2008

the dentist

so, you know when you have a dentist appointment and you tell someone that you are "going to the dentist"? well, i've been thinking about that a lot lately since travis is going to be THE dentist that eveyone is talking about. here's the thing, though. what do i say? do i say, i'm going to trav? or i'm going to my husband? i haven't decided why it's so weird for me. because today i went to, er, i went to the dental school to have some dental work done and travis is the one who did it. see what i mean. when i'm talking about my actual husband who is working on my teeth it seems weird to say that i'm going to the dentist because i actually know him. does this make any sense? i'm rambling.
speaking of...i have to brag about travis. he really is a good dentist. i realize that no one really enjoys going to the dentist but if you have to go, trav does a great job. (although, it is different when your spouse is doing your dental work because you can say things like, "that's not comfortable" or "move the mirror, you're hurting my lip"or "talk to me, i'm bored", etc.)
while i was getting my teeth worked on, calvin played with kristen and sophie. kristen took some ADORABLE pictures and, of course, put them into this cute scrap page. aren't they cute? thanks kristen!

8 comments:

Jenae said...

Personally, I think it is great that Travis gets to be your dentist because dental room etiquette is something I don't think anyone really knows. Just open your mouth and be quiet?? But maybe you can come up with a compromise and when you are going to see him as "the Dentist" you can just say you are going to "See Travis at Work", or "the Husband". I'm so dumb!! Oh well, I tried.

Jenae said...

Oh! And I can't believe Calvin is growing up so fast! He looks like a little man now. I am really wishing I could have seen you last time you visited.

Gretchen said...

You could say something exclusively dental like "I'm gonna go spend some time in Travis's chair" or "I'll be with Travis under the light".
I can't believe you even sort of think Calvin is lacking in language! Calvin signs. Signs are more important than words at his age. A girl I nannied for was so bright but she didn't say much of anything til she was 22 months old. But at 22 months she spoke in sentences so you can't say one way or the other who's ahead and who's behind.
Chris says Travis is a great dentist. I can't wait to be able to really complain to the dentist or ask to be told a story. Those will be the days.

Navarro's said...

Thats funny I never thought of that, but thats a good point we will have to discuss this deliema and all come up with what we say when we are going to the dentist, our husbands :-)

ANJ said...

i've been looking for "a dentist" in dc... and i don't know how to do it! it all seems very intimidating to me.

so you're lucky that, wherever you live, at lesat you have a good dentist to go to.

maybe i'll fly up to see "the travis"

Emily said...

I would just say: "I have an appointment with a drill" See you later!

kristen said...

k never really thought of this phenomenon before! what the heck do you say? i'm glad we are all going through this together. we need to talk...

Anonymous said...

Calvin is so adorable and that scrap page is darling ...

Can't believe Travis is going to be done soon! Yay!!!