Monday, April 16, 2007

what the noreaster?

travis and i have a list. it's a list of things we want to do while we are here in boston living on the east coast. one of those things is to make a trip down to NYC for a weekend. well, thanks to Patriots Day-a holiday i think only celebrated in massachusetts-travis doesn't have to go to school today. so, earlier last week we started planning our trip. we had been hearing about a possible storm coming our way but as the week went on it turned into "the biggest storm in 10 years". so, we decided that it didn't sound like much fun to walk around with a 5 month old in a downpour of rain, sleet, and hail with 70 mph winds! but, the storm wasn't supposed to start until saturday night.


so, we chose something else from our list. we decided to make a day trip down to newport, rhode island. a little rundown on newport: it's a cute, tiny little beach town. in this town is an old-fashioned street of dreams. here are the old mansions of a lot of the richest families in America's history. we took one tour through the breaker house. this is the summer home of the vanderbilts, a family who built a shipping and railroad company that made cornelius vanderbilt one the wealthiest men in the world. it was very interesting and we really enjoyed our day there. and, after seeing our weather here yesterday and today, i think we made a good decision!

a few facts: this house is 138,000 sq feet. it has 70 rooms. built in late 1800's. has been a museum since the end of world war II.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for you for making good use of your day off! It looks like a great site--maybe that will be your house someday!

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

wow, how fun! I am very proud of you guys for making use of your time while on the east coast...how often will you get to live around so many awesome places?! The town looks cute and the house looks...well, huge! You probably would lose all 12 of your kids in there... :)

Katie and Eric said...

Fun trip! What a cool house. It amazes me that people really had houses like that.
We can't believe this crazy weather, bring on the spring!

Anonymous said...

looks like a great trip. I hope the weather gets better over there.

MishMyBelle said...

I agree. I think you made the right decision. It has been raining in NYC for the last week! Can I please put away my winter coat?! Cute pictures!!

Amber said...

I am jealous. that is one thing that we still have not done. Sorry we missed you when we came into town-but we will be there for about a week in May so there will be more time for fun. Stupid Massachusetts weather! :-)

Elizabeth said...

I love that you're taking advantage of your time on the East coast. I also love a good family outing!

Anonymous said...

which house do you think you will buiold out in oregon? hey this comment stuff is new to me, but it is fun to look at and read. love you guys .. dad e

Amy said...

Liz
I am glad you are checking things off your list of things to see. Good idea. Can you imagine living in a house that big? I can't believe it. I love the pictures. Oh and i love the pictures of Calvin "playing" with his friend. So funny! It is like these two tiny people and yet they take up so much space with those giant contraptions around them!! Love it!!!

Anonymous said...

The reason for the Noreastern...I'll bet you anything you were NOT as prepared to go to New York as you thought! You were given one more chance! Before you make plans to go to New York next time, you MUST get tickets to be seen on TV on GMA!!!! Now aren't you glad you didn't get to go, afterall? Had you done so, GMA probably would never have even occurred to you!! How do you expect to get updated information if you don't do that? !!! Love, Mom