Recently Calvin has started this thing where he'll be playing really good by himself for a while and then right about the time he needs to go down for a nap he starts screaming; not just a little fussy at first but screaming! So, I pick him up and try to calm him down and he just gets himself so worked up and won't calm down for at least half an hour and then he finally falls asleep. As of today, that part has gotten better because I just put him in his bed, he cries for a few minutes and then is asleep.
But, I need some help! What type of napping schedule should he be on at 3 months, how long should he be sleeping, etc. What were your kids doing at this age? Also, sometimes he'll sleep for two hours, which is nice, but then other times he only sleeps for 30 minutes, which is frustrating! I'll take any and all suggestions!!
5 comments:
If you get any good ideas, pass them this way! Cambri was such a good napper and was on a pretty consistent schedule, but Kate is throwing me for a loop. She usually won't sleep for more than an hour at a time and then it's only when I put her in the swing! She falls asleep by herself at night without a problem, but for some reason she isn't a good napper.
With Cambri we did just what you're doing--put them in the crib and let her cry it out. Sometimes she slept for awhile, sometimes not very long. But whenever she got fussy and I didn't know what else to do, I just figured she was tired and did it. That was definitely the best thing we did for her because she is the BEST sleeper now.
I think I mostly just rambled, but if any of this helped then great. If not, then you understand why I'm in the same situation as you! I also need to see recent pictures of Cal please. It's been awhile you know.
Honestly, our naptimes with Jackson were horrible until about 4 months or 4 and a half months. I would get a great nights sleep out of him at 3 months (7:30pm-6:30am). BUt naps were a joke. I was in tears several times about this very topic. I was baffled. And still Liz, its not that I have any great advice, but rather that eventaully it all works out. You keep trying to put him down, he may cry and fuss, but just keep trying. And eventually he learns and he gets older and understands what happens at naptime and bedtime. Sorry I am of no real help. Just moral support and love! I feel your pain girl! It honestly gets better though. I think for your own sanity you have to come up with a sleeping plan and then just stick to it. It may work some days and not others, but it helps to have a plan. Just know I love your stinkin' guts and they do keep getting easy as they get older! (at least for me...so far).
I don't really have any advice, ashlin was such a sleeper, I always worried she slept too much. Now however, she is waking up ready to go for the day at 5:30am and only takes one 1 hour nap. I hope that changes before the next one comes. I would agree with the comments made so far. You have to keep trying and eventually something will work for you, and just when you think you figured it all out... the teeth come!
Liz, Cole refused to sleep for the first 4 months of his life. Our problem was serious acid reflux, among exhaustion after such a lack of sleep. For us, always bundling Cole during naps and bedtime really helped. (We did it until he was 6 months old, and even still do it if he can't calm down from screaming every once in a while.) Other than trying new things until you figure out your own child, I'm with the other friends/family who say keep trying and it definitely gets easier. Cole's almost 11 months and I'm still trying new things. (music, blankies, etc.) He'll sleep well, and then something will interrupt his good habit and our cycle starts all over. (teething, traveling, etc.) Good luck! I'll never forgot how hard those non-sleeping days were/are.
check out http://acheekyblog.blogspot.com. 2 of my friends and I bounce ideas/questions, etc off of each other about motherhood. We've all been in the same boat with "difficult" new borns.
Hey Liz!
Isn't it amazing how a baby's sleeping and eating habits consume all your thoughts? I have felt like 4 months has been the age for my kids when they have finally settled into a normal, predictable nap routine that I could count on. I just always followed the BAby Whisperer's system. One thing you might think about is maybe Calvin is getting overtired during his playtime and that's why he gets so riled up. Maybe you could watch for tired signs and get him in his bed sooner. Then he wouldn't have to be so upset. I know my kids were never awake for more than about 1 1/2 hours at a stretch at that age, so maybe he's staying awake too long then he just gets exasperated and starts screaming!
If only he could tell you it would be so much easier wouldn't it?? How about some more pictures of Calvin??
Post a Comment