Friday, May 21, 2010

boys have fun, too.

since having kids i have noticed a lot of differences between boys' moms and girls' moms. moms of little girls get to have a lot of fun, let's be honest. buy cute girly clothes, dress them up, put bows and flowers in their hair, do fun crafts etc. that only little girls really like. (i put crayons and paper in front of my boys and they are entertained for, maybe, 2 minutes. put a ball in front of them? now that's a different story) i have friends and sisters who have little girls who have made lots of cute accessories or dresses for their little girls that are so adorable i am tempted to make them, too, in hopes of having a little girl to use them on someday! well, i was ready for a fun boys craft that i could do and made calvin and miles these snakes. see how cool these boys' mom is, haha?

and i'm happy to report that calvin carries his around with him everywhere.


oh yeah, good thing this mama gets to just take pictures of them wrestling! (ok, ok, i admit, i get in on the wrestling sometimes too.)

i love being a mom to these boys.

what are things you love about being a boys/girls mama?

11 comments:

Jill said...

Funny you have this post today because the past few days I have LOVED having a little friend in Cambri. I took her to a baby shower with me yesterday, where she was equally interested in the food, social aspect, and baby gifts. And she asks me when we can go get pedicures. That has got to be my favorite part of having girls.

kristen said...

Cool! Did you get to use your sewing machine finally!? Sophie would be all over that snake... Pretty sure you know our history with stuffed animals. You are the perfect boys mama... But pretty sure you'd be good at girls too. And as long as we keep having the opposite gender in kids the more chances we'll have in becoming future in-laws. I'm ok with that.

Lindsey said...

Cool idea to make them snakes! If I give Brady a crayon he still tries to eat it. :)

Janelle said...

Having one of each I can tell you how different it feels to mother a girl vs. a boy. I remember so vividly recognizing that the first time I held Jack in the hospital after he was born. It's not that one is better or preferred (at all), but it is certainly a different kind of love for each. Equally beautiful! But so different. Maybe because of different dreams or visions or expectations of how you'll be spending your time with them as they grow up. Jack is too young to know too much about the fun things that come with having a boy, although I can already sense he will grow up to be a sweet little man who protects and honors his mother in a way only a son could. (You are so lucky to have double that!) I do, however, have plenty of experience with why I know I love having a little girl. I love having a mini girlfriend with me at all times. Especially now that she's getting older and can communicate and pick up on more, she's really fun to have as a little friend. Dresses. Bows. Pedicures. Shoes. Their sweetness. Piece-of-cake potty-training. Dress-ups. Princess obsessions. Shopping. Social nature. Baking. Doing girly stuff together. Nurturing instincts. ("You're sick, Mommy? Oh, I'm sorry. It's okay. It's okay, Mommy." or "It's okay, Jack! I'm coming!", running toward him with pacifier). But you have to remember the common flipside of girls (or at least my girl): Tantrums. Drama. Strong-willed nature. Intensity of emotions. (Ohhhh, the whining). Expensive. Takes three times as long to get out the door because of having to do hair, find a matching hair accessory, and dealing with their very opinionated will to wear a certain outfit that doesn't match or is on backwards(or to wear nothing at all, or a dress-up outfit). Did I mention the intense, constant emotionality? Haha. (Actually, not laughing). Okay, long comment. It's always good to remember not-so-fun stuff comes with the fun stuff. Boys are so wonderful. You are the best boy mama! Awesome job on those snakes. You are so talented, Liz.

Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad you posted this, I love it!! I also love how fat you made one of your snakes. What a great boy mom you are!

Moshi said...

You are totally right about the crayons, crafts, etc. I have yet to convince Logan to color something for more than a minute and a half. But if I mention sports, well, then I can have his attention for the entire day, and night if he were allowed to skip sleeping at all.

Emily said...

Those snakes are adorable!

crazymamma said...

ahahaha I love these snakes...btw..i totally thought u already knew about my blog! ahahaha! anyhow..i am glad u have found it! yay! we are blogging buddies:)

Gretchen said...

I LOVE having boys. Three of a kind is awesome. I call it my specialty. It gives me right to purchase anything boy related in any size or stage of development. Boys are cooler because for some reason people think they're harder. Anytime we're in public I get the "whoa three boys!". Boys get over things more quickly, they aren't injured or dramatic as often and they don't have reason to stand next to you shooting the ...biz while you cook.
Also my boys play together really well. I don't know if that is equally true for girls.
B is requesting sister so we'll have to find one for him but for now I LOVE having boys.

The Imperfect Pie said...

LIZ, you HAVE to send me pics or pattern or instructions for how you made those adorable snakes! I'd love to put them on my toddler blog. Email me when you have time!
janellerphipps@gmail.com

Bryan and Ashley said...

Liz, I always read your blog. I figured we'd be good friends between our connection with Kristen and Janelle. Plus, with your two boys about a year ahead of mine I always love seeing what I have to look forward to.

Anyway, just wanted to finally say hi and say I love your snake idea!!!