Sunday, July 20, 2008

why not maine?

yesterday morning we woke up with no plans for our saturday and by 10 am we were on our way up to maine! one thing i love about the east coast is that you can drive in three different states, spend a whole day doing an activity and make it back by dinner time the same day. we were definitely living up to the "maine-iac" status, though, that's for sure.

we really had a great day and were also able to check maine off of our list of places to visit before we leave. our first stop was at the gas station to fill up and we immediately liked maine because we were able to leave the pump in the hole and walk away without having to hold it the entire time like we do here in mass. and things just kept getting better! we spent most of our day at maine's largest zoo and amusement park. this is a great place, especially for young kids. calvin loves animals so he was so happy to be there. his new favorite animal is the "elfant" and he loves making the noise too. (not sure how to spell the noise an elephant makes so next time you talk to him make sure to ask him what an elephant says) he also got to go on lots of kiddie rides and i think he liked the ferris wheel the best. it was funny, though, because after every ride or every animal he saw he would ask to see the elephant! after the wild kingdom we made it over to york beach for about an hour. it was a nice beach for the east coast, meaning there were no rocks and it actually had waves! saturday was also probably one of the hottest days of the year so it was really crowded! calvin loved hitting the waves with travis while i worked on my tan! by the end of the day we were all pretty tired but it was well worth the trip. overall, we like maine.


ok, so he doesn't look very happy about being right next to a real elephant but that's just because we made him look at the camera instead of at the elephant!
we also got to go on some paddle boats to look at some ducks. i like this picture because i wanted to get a picture of travis and calvin with their life vests on, so travis bent down to get closer to calvin. well, calvin wanted to be like his dad and bent down the same way.






the lady in charge of this ride put calvin right next to this little girl. the whole time he was cuddled up right next to her, both laughing the whole time.

7 comments:

kristen said...

so you basically just ship your kid off in some rides all day right!? sounds like my kind of fun! no wonder you guys had a good time!

Lynnie said...

Is Portsmouth, NH on the list? I'll be there the second weekend in August if you wanna come hang out. :) I can show you around. The beach just south of York, Wallis Sands is also super great sandy beach space, but has some rocks for climbing as well. I grew up on that beach. Check it out!

Cherisa said...

Looks like fun! I've been wanting to check out the York's park up in Maine. I'm embarrased to say that in almost 8 years of living here, I've never made it north of the Massachusetts border. I think when you're expecting to be in an area a long time you forget to do the "tourist" stuff and life gets away from you. But I'm glad you're enjoying all New England has to offer before you have to leave us!

akdoxey said...

We also have to get up to Maine, we're not checking off our list of things to do in the east as easily as I thought we would. Stupid school! I love the pictures of Calvin on the rides by himself. How fun. Leah would love that!

Stephanie Pulham said...

Liz I just found your blog! Calvin is so big. He looks just like Travis. Looks like you had lots of fun in Maine.

Becca Openshaw said...

how fun... what part of maine did you go to? Calvin is sooo cute! Hope to see you soon!

Amy said...

cute pictures! I love the mini ferris wheel! Calvin is so cute. oh and so are you!