Thursday, July 10, 2008

hot or cold? (for you kristen)


disclaimer: i do not mean to offend any of you who previously, currently or plan to in the future live in arizona. my good friend, kristen, has arizona on the very top of her list of places to live and i can't understand why. so we debate this subject often. with that said, i will never live in arizona (or the southwest in general) why?


you know one of those "would you rather" questions that asks if you would rather be hot or cold? well, after walking around boston in this muggy, hot weather, i am now convinced i would rather be cold! my family and close friends know how much i hate sweating when i'm not supposed to (i.e. working out, playing sports, etc) and also know how grumpy i get when i'm hot. i consider myself a pretty easy-going, happy person most of the time except when i'm hungry and hot. i would much rather bundle up with a big coat, scarf and gloves and run to my car and blast the heat than sweat to death just to sit in my car while i wait for the air to get cold. there's a lot of clothes/blankets you can put on if you are cold. not a lot to take off when you're hot.


for those of you who argue that the summers in the southwest are just like the winters everywhere else...it's not a bad argument. except that if you don't have a pool in the summer you are in trouble. i guess my main argument is just the whole sweating and grumpy thing. and, to prove my point even more...please check out this article. 26.4 ounces of sweat per hour?! are you kidding me? sick. i would also like to point out that portland, oregon (where i will be living in a year) is #98. that's right folks, almost no sweating for me! where does your city make the list?

7 comments:

Amber said...

Yes--we win!!! Oh wait..is that a bad thing? :-) I am in phoenix, but I am one of those who have a pool in my backyard. You don't feel as sweaty though--it must ecaporate right away because I don't feel sticky and sweaty all the time. I do miss being able to bundle up in jackets and scarves though...or heck--be able to put on a sweatshirt once in a while! By the way-i got on Kristen's blog before she made it private and I thought we had a lot in common--but now I know that we do--could you ask her if I could be invited to view her blog?

kristen said...

ok... you know we could both clearly argue this point until we DIE (hypothermia for you, and a heat stroke for me). but i won't because i love ya and i will let it go. NOT!!! sweating is so over-rated. when you come crying to me with your blackened noses and soggy socks, i will still let you swim in my pool and get a tan in my palm-tree-laden backyard. think about it. and i will confirm your hatred of sweating. get out of her grumpy way folks! ;) or bring an oversized ice cold glass of diet coke with you. case in point.

Alisa said...

oh man liz.....i am totally with you on this!!! I hate sweating when you're not supposed to!! It makes me feel uncute, gross, smelly, wet, yuck!!! i understand!

Lynnie said...

Liz-Arizona has oft found itself on the bottom of my list as well. And I tell you what, you inspired my blog post today. Check it out! DC is a sweaty place I guess, but I think I have myself convinced that the wetness is from the air and not my own perspiration. On my would you rather list I prefer humidity in the summer and dry cold in the winter. Weird, right?

Alisa- AND it makes your hair flat. Boo!

Melonius said...

Lets see, I grew up in #99, now live in #80 and in between was in #39 & 40...I will say there is definitely a difference between Dry heat vs humidity. I was miserable in the summer in UT but only when we lived in an A/C-less apartment on the top floor. When we moved to a bottom floor apt we were fine. In KS I could literally walk out of my kitchen into the garage to put the trash out and have beads of sweat running down my back.
I would rather not be too hot OR too cold {how's that for a cop-out?} Now, with that said, I am always always always excited when winter is over and sad when summer is over.

Jill said...

82--but it's definitely number one on my list. I think that other list had something wrong wtih it.

Kristi said...

Yay for Portland!! It's by far the best place to live!